Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Come, Holy Spirit

Like many people who write regularly as part of their vocation or avocation, I am blessed to have a muse. My muse and I have a complex relationship. I don’t own her and can’t predict her arrival. She won’t schedule appointments in advance. She shows up unbidden, always sure I’ll be happy to see her, and I always am.

But there is one thing I’ve learned to count on over time--the more I prepare myself for her arrival, the more likely she is to come around. By that I mean that my muse likes to weave words from a variety of fabrics. If I’ve collected threads of stories and strips of ideas from books and movies and a heart and ear tuned to life, she shows up happy and gets right to work, helping me spin off sermons and series, and I delight in her presence.

But if I’ve cut myself off from the warp and weft of life, too busy to pick up a book, not paying attention to the vignettes unfolding around me, she shies away, dancing, I’m sure, on more inviting playgrounds.

Seems to me that this relationship is analogous to my relationship with the Holy Spirit. As we’re reminded in the Fourth Gospel, the Spirit, like the wind, blows where it will. Surely the Spirit delights to settle into a space that’s made warm and welcoming by a willing heart, an open mind, and a compassionate soul. Conversely, I can imagine the Spirit choosing to move on, to keep looking for a kinder resting place, when confronted by a no-vacancy sign on a heart or a mind whose Day Planner section has even the margins filled with “stuff.”

Over the last week I was fortunate to have the opportunity to prepare myself for both muse and Spirit. For the muse, the stirring beauty of the Pacific Ocean, the energy and romance of the streets of San Francisco, the wonder of the Museum of Modern Art, and the tastes and smells of all the world stretched out like an endless banquet. For the Spirit, the inspiration and encouragement of shared ministry, the renewal of morning devotionals and reflection, and the soul-deep impact of Taize and candlelight.

When the Spirit moves near you, will she want to come in? Will she see an invitation to dwell in spaces made warm and welcoming by prayer, rest, devotion, creativity, and passion? Or will she find doors closed and areas sealed off by obstacles such as over-work, worry, negativity, and self-doubt?

Take a moment…

Turn everything off…

Light a candle…

Breathe deeply…

Sing to the Spirit…

She will come. She will come.

Peace,